31 Mar Take Care Of You
Sometimes it all gets to be a little much. Life can get overwhelming, work can be crazy, family obligations can be draining, and even the things we enjoy like volunteering can add pressure. There is a reason why we hear phrases like “recharge your batteries” or “take some ME time”. We all need to prioritize a bit of self-care.
In the child welfare field, we hear about self-care often, but what exactly is self-care? Self–care is anything you do to take care of yourself so you can stay physically, mentally, and emotionally well.
We all have different approaches to self-care. If you are looking for a way to recharge your batteries, here are some ideas:
- Sit outside in the evening and star-gaze.
- Join a book club – you’ll get to indulge in good books and good company.
- Go fishing. Catch and release or fry up your catch.
- Take a bike ride. Enjoy the view.
- Spend some time in the garden. If you grow veggies, eat them. If you grow roses, take the time to smell them.
- Make art. Paint, draw, sculpt. Not very creative? Grab a coloring book and crayons.
- Take a hiatus from social media.
- Crank up the music and have a dance party in the kitchen.
- Take a nice long Sunday drive. Maybe even get lost.
- Learn how to cook a new dish and then sit down and savor it.
- Keep a gratitude journal.
- Recapture your childhood. Go to the park and swing or fly a kite.
- Spend a cozy day inside cuddled in a soft blanket and read a good book or binge-watch something new.
- Go for a hike at a National Park.
- Have a brunch, lunch, or dinner date with a good friend.
- Go to bed early. Sleep in.
- Play fetch with your dog.
- Make sure you drink lots of water.
- Have a family game night. Laugh a lot.
- Spend some time pampering yourself.
- Do something nice for someone.
- Learn and use a breathing exercise.
Remember that when you take care of yourself, you are better able to give your best to your family, job, and other obligations.
Leave us a comment and tell us your favorite way to take care of yourself.